To be able to turn waters that have parameter values exceeding the valid limit values, back into a faultless condition, renovation measures have to be seized immediately. For this purpose the scope of action that is at disposal for the water supplier and the authorities has to be investigated, so that remedy measures of optimal investment/profit-relationships between health protection (risk defence), resource protection (renovation and prevention of further entries) and expenditure for technical measures (technical renovation) may be initiated.
Another approach for the support of Bulgaria in the implementation process of the DC 98/83/ EC, is the consultation to the themes of:
- Temporarily tolerable, hygienic harmless maximum concentrations of drinking water parameters / environmental chemicals in the context of measure plans according to article 9 of CD 98/83/ EC,
- The necessity of a renovation need,
- Assignment of priorities of renovation measures by chronological structuring of health measure values,
- Listing of measure plans or, as the case may be, a priority setting renovation list of the drinking water supply plants in Bulgaria
Also the following themes are to be investigated, to clear the situation for the decision-makers,:
- Under which prerequisites a health endangering, resulting from a limit value transgression, would be to fear,
- Allocation of particular limit value transgressions to individual population groups (e.g. healthy adults, sensible groups
of people, children) and health guidance values, or as the case may be, human-toxicological derivation of measure values concerning
substances in drinking water, to avoid health risks for those groups of people,
- Which renovation- and avoidance measures it would be appropriate to carry out, and within which period of time,
- If there are other alternative ways to guarantee the supply of faultless drinking water
However a compete assessment of these 4 criterions results in that, that the supply with the rejected drinking water has to
be continued in the time period of renovation.
The project aims for the following results:
- Decision-maker qualification for the assessment of limit value transgressions and for the derivation of health guidance and
measure values of environmental chemicals,
- Assessment of drinking water analysis in the public grid in accordance with the above mentioned health criterions,
- Derivation of priorities by the statement of necessary quality assurance- and renovation need of the water supply,
- Estimation of the renovation need and necessary investments for this purpose.
The project allocates, through the deliverables above, parameter-specific measures concerning the health care for the case that a limit value transgression accomplishes. These parameter-specific measures are used for the identification- and goal-oriented accomplishment of further necessary measures.